How Samsung Provides Customized Ads
The Service provides Customized Ads by using unique, randomized, non-persistent, and resettable device identifiers, known as "Advertising ID" on Samsung mobile devices and "PSID" on Samsung Smart TVs.
The Service may deliver Customized Ads based on your demographic characteristics, preferences, choices, and interests by obtaining the following information:
- • device identifiers and device settings information (e.g., device manufacturer, model, OS version, IP address, Advertising IDs, device connection status, mobile country code, mobile network code, language, and mobile carrier);
- • device usage and log information (e.g., list of installed apps, app version, and app usage statistics);
- • information about your interactions with Customized Ads (e.g., the ads you click on);
- • if you are a Customization Service user who has opted in to receive Customized Ads, inferences drawn from the data collected by the Customization Service (e.g., behaviors and preferences) and, with your consent, precise geolocation data; and
- • if you are a Samsung Smart TV user who has opted in to both Viewing Information Services and Interest-Based Advertising, TV viewership data (e.g., information about the networks, channels and websites visited, programs viewed, and amount of time spent viewing Smart TV content).
We also may obtain other behavioral and demographic data from trusted third-party data sources. We may use this data to draw inferences about your preferences, choices, and interests to provide you with Customized Ads about products and services tailored to your individual interests. We may collect and combine information about your online activities over time and across Samsung and third-party devices, apps, websites and online services to provide you with Customized Ads.
We may share certain information with our subsidiaries, affiliates, service providers, and business partners for the purpose of delivering Customized Ads to you. We do not authorize our service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements.
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal information we obtain about you, which may vary depending on the type of device you have and the wireless carrier you use.
How to Opt Out of Receiving Customized Ads
You may opt out of receiving Customized Ads from Samsung. If you opt out of receiving Customized Ads, the Service will no longer use the information specified in this Privacy Notice to deliver Customized Ads to you. Please note, however, that opting out of Customized Ads may not prevent the delivery of all advertisements from Samsung, including tailored advertisements provided by other Samsung services. Please visit the settings menu on the applicable Samsung device or service for information on how to opt out of such advertisements.
This section describes the ways in which you may opt out of receiving Customized Ads from the Service through different Samsung devices:
- • Samsung Mobile Device
You can opt out of receiving Customized Ads from the Service by selecting the "Opt out of Ads Personalization" option on your Samsung mobile device at Settings > Google > Ads.
(If the operating system on your Samsung mobile device is version 5.2 or below, please open the Google Settings app and tap Ads to select the "Opt Out of Ads Personalization" option.)
- • Samsung Smart TV
- Additionally, you can opt out of receiving Customized Ads (called "Interest Based Advertisements" on Smart TV) through your Smart TV settings menu at Menu > Support > Terms & Policy or Menu > Smart Hub > Terms & Policy.
- • Customization Service
If you are a Customization Service user, you can opt out of sharing your Customization Service data with the Service as follows:
- A. If the operating system on your Samsung mobile device is version 9.0.0 or later:
- Settings > Accounts and backup > Accounts > Samsung account > Privacy > Customization Service > Customized ads and direct marketing
- B. If the operating system on your Samsung mobile device is version 7.1.0 to 8.1.0:
- Settings > Cloud and accounts > Accounts > Samsung account > Privacy > Customization
Please note that changing your Customization Service settings will not stop the Service from sending you Customized Ads. To opt out of receiving Customized Ads from the Service, please see the instructions under "Samsung Mobile Device" and "Samsung Smart TV" in this "How to Opt Out of Receiving Customized Ads" section of the Privacy Notice.
How to Reset your Advertising IDs
You can also reset your Advertising ID or PSID by selecting "Reset Advertising ID" or "Reset PSID" on the settings menu of your Samsung mobile device or Samsung Smart TV.
- • Samsung Mobile Device
You can reset your Advertising ID by tapping on "Reset Advertising ID" on your Samsung mobile device at Settings > Google > Ads.
(If the operating system on your Samsung mobile device is version 5.2 or below, please open the Google Settings app and tap Ads to select the "Reset Advertising ID" option.)
- • Samsung Smart TV
- You can reset your PSID by selecting "Reset PSID" on your Samsung Smart TV at Menu > Support > Terms & Policy or Menu > Smart Hub > Terms & Policy.
If you reset the Advertising ID on your Samsung mobile device or the PSID on your Samsung Smart TV, any data collected and associated with your previous Advertising ID or PSID will no longer be used by the Service to deliver Customized Ads to you. Please note that if you reset your Advertising ID or PSID, it may take some time for our systems to update your information due to technical reasons. Please also note that resetting your Advertising ID or PSID will not stop the delivery of Customized Ads to your Samsung mobile device or Samsung Smart TV. To opt out of receiving Customized Ads on your Samsung mobile device or Samsung Smart TV, please adjust the settings on your device, as described in the "How to Opt Out of Receiving Customized Ads" section of this Privacy Notice.
For California Residents
How to Contact Us
If you have specific questions or information requests about Samsung Ads, please contact us by sending an email to NAprivacy@sea.samsung.com.